Discover what may be covered and what programs and services are included with medical benefit coverage.
Explore your medical benefit options with:
For over 80 years, we have provided health care coverage, and we are committed to being there when you need us for many years to come. As the largest health care insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region, we know how much you and your family depend on health coverage. It’s a responsibility we take very seriously, as we have with your parents, grandparents, friends and neighbors.
We design our health plans with one thing in mind—you. Our plans give you the freedom to get the care you need, when and where you need it and include:
- The largest network of doctors in the region
- No referrals needed
- Ways to manage your health care expenses
- No charge for many benefits such as in-network adult physicals, well-child exams, immunizations, screenings and more.
- Focused support with our Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program
- Personal assistance at can be found on the CareFirst website with friendly, knowledgeable insurance professionals
- Free 24/7 medical advice line at 800-535-9700
- Video Visits provide care you need when and where you need it. To learn more, visit the CareFirst website.
To learn more, view or download CareFirst’s State of Maryland Employee Benefit Options [PDF].
You have the freedom to choose your own doctor or specialist, every time you need care.
- Office visits are covered for minimal copay.
- Out-of-Area Coverage: You will receive one of the most widely recognized and accepted health care identification cards in the United States – BlueCard. So now, you can take your health care benefits with you – across the country and around the world. Visit the BlueCard website to get started.
You drive your own health care decisions by enjoying many hassle-free benefits. Members selecting the EPO plan must select their providers from a National network and must stay in-network to receive coverage benefits.
- No out-of-network coverage.
Mental Health Services will be provided through CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield.
- In order to maximize benefits, members should seek services through a participating CareFirst PPO provider. Visit the CareFirst website.
- Inpatient treatment is covered at 100% of allowed benefit. Preauthorization is required through Magellan Health Services.
- Outpatient services are covered at 100% after a $15 copay.
- Adult Vision Care: Benefits for Members 19 Years and Older
- Pediatric Vision Care: Benefits for Members through Age 18
You have access to an expanded network of vision providers through Davis Vision* in addition to the BCBS PPO network. For more information, visit the CareFirst website.
CareFirst has partnered with Sharecare, Inc. to bring you a wellness program designed to help you live a healthier life, reach your wellness goals and earn rewards like $0 PCP copays and reduced specialist copays for completing healthy activities. Rewards earned in 2021 continue through December 31, 2022.
Two rewards you can earn:
- Free PCP visits
- $5 reduction to your specialist copay
Wellness Discount Program
As CareFirst members, you will also receive access to our Wellness Discount Program, which provides you with discounts on alternative therapies such as acupuncture, chiropractic services, yoga and much more. For more information visit the CareFirst website.
- Customer Service: Need Help? Phone and online services are available. Call 800-225-0131 for dedicated customer service.
- 24/7 Nurse Line: 800-535-9700 for advice anytime
- Video Visit: See a doctor anytime by visiting the CareFirst website
- For more information visit the CareFirst State of MD website
CareFirst Find a Doctor website: Search to find if your provider is in the network or to find a provider
CareFirst MyAccount website: Your place for customized plan information. If you haven’t registered for My Account, do so today.
At UnitedHealthcare, we want to help you make the most out of your health plan so you can save time, money and be the healthiest you possible. Learn more about the benefits and services included in our plans at the UnitedHealthcare State of Maryland Employees and Retirees website. Or you can watch the State of Maryland: Why UnitedHealthcare may be right for you video, which is specific to your Maryland benefits. You can also learn more about UnitedHealthcare by watching the Welcome video.
|Choice EPO||ChoicePlus PPO|
|You will either be responsible for copays for doctor visits that are not considered preventive care or have certain services covered at 100 percent.||You will have copays for network doctor visits that are not considered preventive care. You are responsible for coinsurance until you have met your out-of-pocket maximum.|
|You will have coverage only in our network. If you choose to see a doctor outside of our network, you will likely have to pay for services out of pocket.||You have out-of-network coverage.|
No matter which UnitedHealthcare plan you choose, you’ll have access to our local network that includes every hospital in Maryland plus our broad national network (of more than 1.1 million physicians and health care professionals).
You will also have:
- Access to over 100,000 Vision providers nationwide (including Warby Parker).
- Visits with specialists without needing a referral.
- Mental health and substance abuse benefits.
- Ability to see a doctor anytime, anywhere with a Virtual Visit.
For more information, view or download:
Your UnitedHealthcare member service team is here to help answer questions on your benefits and health and wellness services. Call 1-800-382-7513.
- Support for a child with special needs: Connect with an advocate who will be your single point of contact for your whole family.
- Reach a nurse 24/7: NurseLine helps make your health decisions simple and convenient by providing immediate answers to your health questions.
The State of Maryland will restart their Wellness Plan in 2021. Participating in this plan can help you save money with $0 copay on PCP office visits and Virtual Visits, and only $25 on specialist visits. UnitedHealthcare offers tools to help make it easier to complete the wellness activities and track your health care.
Work toward your health goals at your own pace with the State’s Make the Call, Take the Call program. Get started today on the myuhc.com® website.
Join a weight loss program with live online coaching, interactive videos, digital tools and a success kit shipped to your door to help you make small behavior changes. View or download the Real Appeal overview [PDF].
Quit for Life®
Enroll for support from a Quit Coach® who can help you create a realistic plan to quit tobacco, overcome cravings and stay motivated. You may qualify for complimentary nicotine replacement therapy.
Disease and Case Management programs
If you need help managing a specific chronic condition, or if you need long-term support after a hospitalization or a catastrophic health event, we have nurses who can help. Our condition management programs offer personalized support with digital applications and messaging for a more integrated relationship with your nurse.
Maternity Support Program
Throughout your pregnancy, you can talk with an experienced maternity nurse who’s there to support you and answer your questions. View or download the Maternity Support app overview [PDF].
UnitedHealthcare provides benefits to help you feel more in control of your emotional well‐being. Your Behavioral Health benefit can help you effectively deal with stressful and challenging situations. Visit the Live and Work Well website to learn more.
Regularly communicate with a licensed therapist via text or live video, safely and securely from your phone or desktop. View or download the Talkspace overview [PDF].
Behavioral Health Virtual Visits
Behavioral virtual visits let you talk to a behavioral health professional from your mobile device, tablet or computer. View or download the Behavioral Health Virtual Care overview [PDF].
Behavioral Health in-person visits
Get personal support with a psychiatrist or therapist for a specific diagnosis. Substance use treatment benefits also fall under this category.
- Learn more about the benefits and services included in our plans by visiting the State of Maryland employees and retirees website or by calling 1-800-382-7513.
- Discover vision benefits available through the UnitedHealthcare Vision website.
- Find information on behavioral health support and search for a provider on the Live and Work Well website.
- Watch the UnitedHealth Premium® Program video.
- Watch the Where to Go for Care video.
- Visit the myuhc.com® website or download the UnitedHealthcare® app to manage your plan on the App Store® or Google Play™.
Kaiser Permanente was founded on the radically simple idea that everyone deserves the chance to live a healthy life. That’s why you can find quality care under one roof.
As a member, you’re at the center of everything we do — from pioneering new ways to treat cancer to building useful tools that make it easier to stay on top of your health. Learn about health care made easy at: Kaiser Permanente: State of Maryland website or call Member Services at 855-839-5763.
A healthy partnership
At Kaiser Permanente, your doctor is your biggest advocate for your health — one who makes sure you get the care you need. You can choose from a wide range of doctors and change anytime. Discover more about our doctors and specialties on the Kaiser Permanente website.
Great care, great results
Get the care you need to help you get and stay healthy. Whether it’s time for a preventive screening or you need care for a serious condition, we’ve got you covered. And it’s all backed by advanced medical technology and research. See why Kaiser Permanente is the region’s leading health system on the Kaiser Permanente website.
Care the way you want it
Choose how, when, and where you get care. You can manage your care online, by phone, at our facilities, and more. You also have access to health advice 24/7, and you can email your doctor’s office at any time with nonurgent questions.
- To learn more about the benefits available to State of Maryland employees watch the enrollment presentation video.
- Watch our Member Experience video.
- To learn more about the benefits available with Kaiser Permanente, view or download the State of Maryland benefits flyer [PDF English, PDF Español] or the Kaiser Permanente OE virtual brochure [PDF in English, PDF Español] .
From preventive screenings that keep you healthy to customized care if you get sick, we’ve got you covered.
- Preventive care to keep you healthy: Preventive care is key to how we practice medicine. It can help you avoid some health issues and catch others before they become serious.
- Specialty care when you need it: We’re also here for you if you get sick or need specialty care. We can conveniently connect you to the right specialist. And you don’t need referrals for certain specialties like obstetrics-gynecology, psychiatry, and drug dependency services.
- Support for ongoing conditions: If you have a condition like diabetes or heart disease, you’re automatically enrolled in a disease management program for personal coaching and support.
- A leader in clinical quality: Kaiser Permanente leads the nation as the top performer in 14 effectiveness-of-care-measures.
Choose how to get care
- Video: Want a convenient, secure way to see a doctor wherever you are? Meet face-to-face online. Ask your doctor if video visits are available to you. To learn more, watch the videos on the Kaiser Permanente website.
- Phone: Have a condition that doesn’t require an in-person exam? We offer care guidance and advice by phone 24/7.
- In person: Visit your doctor for routine care, preventive services, care when you’re not feeling well and more.
Other ways to get care in the moment
- E-visit (new): Fill out a short online questionnaire about your symptoms and get personalized self-care advice from a Kaiser Permanente provider.
- 24/7 care and advice by phone: Call us for advice when you need it most. We’ll help you find what care is right for you, schedule appointments and more.
- Email: Email your doctor’s office anytime with non-urgent questions. You’ll usually get a response within two business days, if not sooner.-
- App: Download the Kaiser Permanente app on the App Store® or Google Play™, to manage routine appointments, refill most prescriptions for mail-order delivery, see most test results and more. You can also keep up with your care on the Kaiser Permanente website.
Good health goes beyond the doctor’s office. Explore some of the convenient resources available to members.
Special rates for members
Enjoy reduced rates on services that can help you stay healthy like gym memberships, acupuncture, massage therapy and chiropractic care.
Navigate mental and emotional challenges and help improve your sleep, mood, relationships and more with wellness apps, available at no cost to adult members. To learn more, visit the Kaiser Permanente website.
Healthy lifestyle programs
Connect to better health with online programs to help you lose weight, quit smoking, reduce stress and more – all at no cost. To learn more, visit the Kaiser Permanente website.
Personal wellness coaching
Get help reaching your health goals. Work on-on-one with a wellness coach by phone at no cost. To learn more, visit the Kaiser Permanente website.
Online wellness tools
For wellness information, health calculators, fitness videos, podcasts and recipes from world-class chefs, visit the Kaiser Permanente website.
Sign up for health classes and support groups at many of our facilities. See what’s available near you at Kaiser Permanente website – some may require a fee.
Seasonal produce stands
Shop for local produce, fresh flowers and more at farmers markets at many of our facilities. To learn more, visit the Kaiser Permanente website.
Our mental health team is passionate about helping people.
- Adult psychiatrists
- Child and adolescent psychiatrists
- Addiction medicine physicians
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Psychiatric clinical nurses
- Substance abuse counselors
- Health educators